Thursday, September 13, 2012

The Deconstruction of My 'Take on Me' Cover

So I decided to record a video of me singing and upload it to YouTube. Sounds like asking for trouble, right?

Well, let me start off by saying that I fucking love singing. I sing all day, every day. I sing in the car, at top volume, going down main street with the windows open. I. do. not. care. If I'm at a party and somebody asks me to sing, I just do. I'm only a tiny bit shy.

So why did I hesitate for so long about putting a cover on YouTube? I don't care if random people hear me singing. I don't even care if they hate me, because I don't know them. Now I'm not claiming to be a great singer - I know I'm not tone-deaf but it's not about that. It's about me having fun. And it was fun for me to record that video.

I didn't want to do it for ages because I thought, "Who wants to hear me singing with no accompaniment?" I thought I'd have to play piano or cute-ukulele. But I don't know how to play those instruments. I know how to sing (and I don't know anything other than that).

In reality, I was just procrastinating. So at 1am one Wednesday night, I thought 'fuck it'. If people don't wanna hear me singing with no accompaniment, they don't have to watch. But I had my fun, and that's all that matters!

No comments: